PFS Core Rules only campaign mode!

This board is for announcements regarding Pathfinder Society Organized Play updates
Prethen
Rookie Field Agent

Re: PFS Core Rules only campaign mode!

Post by Prethen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:39 pm

cdragos wrote: Speaking of core rules, I keep seeing people make references to a new version of the Core Rulebook. Anyone know when it's coming out? My current one is old and falling apart.
Those rumors are unsubstantiated: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rxpb?Rumors-of-CRB-update#1.
Last edited by Prethen on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greywizard77
Rookie Field Agent
Name: Matt McConnell
PFS Number: 10137
GM Stars: 1

Post by greywizard77 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Yeah, me too. I need a new copy, but if they are coming out with an update (beyond just a new printing/errata) then I should wait. I also want to know what the situation is.

CDragos
Store Coordinator
Name: Christian
PFS Number: 17148
GM Stars: 4
GM Glyphs: 1

Post by CDragos » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:07 pm

So they were false rumors. Hmm. Ok. Gotta get a new book soon anyway.
Christian Dragos
Venture Agent - Denver

greywizard77
Rookie Field Agent
Name: Matt McConnell
PFS Number: 10137
GM Stars: 1

Post by greywizard77 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks for the update, Prethen! I'd say that the opinion of Erik Mona himself pretty much seals it.

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:05 pm

For those who are curious about the implementation of the Core Campaign at Enchanted Grounds:

I will not be running the Core Campaign at Enchanted Grounds in Highlands Ranch. As someone mentioned, coordinating that without creating confusion would be difficult (at best) due to the number of games I offer. With the possible exception of Learn To Play Pathfinder, PFS games at Enchanted Grounds in Highlands Ranch will remain Classic (or Legacy, or Normal, or whatever it ends up getting called).

That said, many of you may know that Enchanted Grounds will be opening a second location near downtown Littleton. PFS will, of course, be offered at that store as well (on different days than are offered at Highlands Ranch). Enchanted Grounds Littleton will be offering Core Campaign games exclusively. There, instead of a Learn to Play night, I will have a Pathfinder Character Creation night, wherein players will be given the opportunity to transition their PCs from Core to Classic. Instead of having a GM teaching new players the game, I will have an open discussion of how to create different concepts using non-core books (like having the upcoming Strategy Guide hardcover in a group setting). So, essentially, the reverse of what Highlands Ranch offers.

Currently the target date for opening the Littleton store is March/April. Look for announcements regarding the above as I get closer to completing this project.

Russ Brown
Seeker
Name: Russ Brown
PFS Number: 803
GM Stars: 5

Post by Russ Brown » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:55 am

Drogon wrote: ...Enchanted Grounds in Highlands Ranch will remain Classic (or Legacy, or Normal, or whatever it ends up getting called).
FYI, the official names for the two campaigns are currently:
Pathfinder Society Organized Play Campaign
Pathfinder Society Core Campaign
Russ Brown

Hjal Nelson
Veteran Field Agent
PFS Number: 34277

Post by Hjal Nelson » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:08 am

I'm already set in my ways.  They're Core and Vanilla, far as I'm concerned!
Proud survivor of the Legendary Lemming Leap of 2017.

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:13 am

They need to call it something. Core can too easily be mis-understood as "original." A one work moniker for the original campaign will allow coordinators to easily mark it on their schedules and keep confusion down.

Prethen
Rookie Field Agent

Post by Prethen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:32 am

Drogon wrote: They need to call it something. Core can too easily be mis-understood as "original." A one work moniker for the original campaign will allow coordinators to easily mark it on their schedules and keep confusion down.
Based on what Russ pointed out, I'm guessing they'll be referred to as CORE and OPC.

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:44 am

That's what it has always been called. Which is my point. It has long been referred to as PFS instead of The Pathfinder Society Organized Play Campaign. It will continue to be PFS. And when someone says "Core" the person they are talking to will have a brief "what's that" moment. Moreover, marking it on a schedule is a necessary component of avoiding mis-communication. OPC is the furthest thing from PFS in terms of recognizable acronyms.

Prethen
Rookie Field Agent

Post by Prethen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:02 am

Drogon wrote: That's what it has always been called. Which is my point. It has long been referred to as PFS instead of The Pathfinder Society Organized Play Campaign. It will continue to be PFS. And when someone says "Core" the person they are talking to will have a brief "what's that" moment. Moreover, marking it on a schedule is a necessary component of avoiding mis-communication. OPC is the furthest thing from PFS in terms of recognizable acronyms.
I can't disagree with that. It will be interesting to see what ultimately falls out as the new norm for calling the 2 campaign modes.

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Post by Drogon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 am

Prethen wrote: I can't disagree with that.
Why would you disagree with anything I say, Bruce? Haven't I long since proven that I tend to know what I'm doing, with regards to this campaign? (-;

Prethen
Rookie Field Agent

Post by Prethen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:07 am

Drogon wrote:
Prethen wrote: I can't disagree with that.
Why would you disagree with anything I say, Bruce? Haven't I long since proven that I tend to know what I'm doing, with regards to this campaign? (-;
Hmmmm....sounds like a challenge!  ;D

Russ Brown
Seeker
Name: Russ Brown
PFS Number: 803

Post by Russ Brown » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 am

I wasn't and I am still not commenting on the usefulness of the names, just reporting the official party line.
"Just the facts, Ma'am! Man!"
Russ Brown

CDragos
Store Coordinator
Name: Christian
PFS Number: 17148
GM Stars: 4

Post by CDragos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:57 am

Here's a question: Let's say I'm signed up to GM a table at EG. Before the table starts, four of the six players are wanting to play it Core and convince the other two to play pre-gens. Can we play it Core if the whole table wants to?
Christian Dragos
Venture Agent - Denver