Moderators: MoffRimmer, jbane, lochinvar_1971

DavidPetik
Veteran Field Agent
Name: David Petik
PFS Number: 98293
GM Stars: 3

Re: Starfinder Society

Post by DavidPetik » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm

Michael Hixenbaugh wrote: Oh you can't stop me from rolling up characters!
Make as many as you want. But if you want to play them in society make sure you use the 10 point build and not the dice roll method. I am still trying to get my first character society legal. The thing I don't get is the boon slots. There seems to be no 0 tier 0 cost faction boons. Does this mean you can't slot a faction boon until you have played at least once?
David Petik
From the planet of the "Puddin Brains"

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent
Name: Sir.Bearington

Post by musclecarlover07 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 pm

DavidPetik wrote:
Michael Hixenbaugh wrote: Oh you can't stop me from rolling up characters!
Make as many as you want. But if you want to play them in society make sure you use the 10 point build and not the dice roll method. I am still trying to get my first character society legal. The thing I don't get is the boon slots. There seems to be no 0 tier 0 cost faction boons. Does this mean you can't slot a faction boon until you have played at least once?
So they way it reads is that when you create a character you automatically get the [Faction] Champions Boon. Over the course of your career you can become Champions of all the Factions. If you look at page 14 of the Guide it tells you how to fill the chronicle out. It has fame separate from the faction details. BUT you can only select one faction at the beginning.

So it looks like you automatically get your first Factions Champion Boon for free at character creation. Then if you want to delve into another Faction due to a scenario offering a specific faction you can purchase that factions champion's boon. Then After that you have to choose which faction boon to slot in the scenario.

Also don't forget that the alignment restrictions (no magical atonement) are still the same as Pathfinder Society BUT if you do commit and evil or criminal act (or scenario dictates) you gain infamy. If you accrue 3 infamy boom character is dead.

I will start a thread on the Paizo site and hopefully a developer will actually comment of someone will clarify.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ujn7?SFS-F ... fication#1
Micheal Smith

MoffRimmer
Society Field Agent

Post by MoffRimmer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:30 am

I found the following article.  It has a pretty good rundown of some differences (at least at a very high level) that also pretty well summarizes a lot of rules.  If you haven't had a chance to read the Core Rulebook, this is a nice overview and a lot easier to read than the rulebook.  :)

https://geekdad.com/2017/08/15-key-differences-between-starfinder-and-pathfinder-rpgs/

Sir.Gryphon
Seeker
Name: Sir.Gryphon (Randy)
PFS Number: 47387
GM Stars: 4
GM Novas: 1

Post by Sir.Gryphon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:37 am

MoffRimmer wrote: I found the following article.  It has a pretty good rundown of some differences (at least at a very high level) that also pretty well summarizes a lot of rules.  If you haven't had a chance to read the Core Rulebook, this is a nice overview and a lot easier to read than the rulebook.  :)

https://geekdad.com/2017/08/15-key-differences-between-starfinder-and-pathfinder-rpgs/
Good article and a nice summary of the major changes.
Pathfinder #47387
Venture Captain for Southern Colorado

GM for the "Lemming Leap" 2017...
Hugger of molten guardians, GalaxyFest 2018

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Another thing, especially if you are playing the mechanic as they left how to heal it. Also seems thet called for the mechanic comms unit with the rig has and error. Read the FAQ some good questions.

Reading chapter 8 Tactical Rules several times will be beneficial. A lot of core mechanics have changed from Pathfinder. To help keep things running smooth.

Reading the Boon section in the SFSG is important and can HAVE huge impacts on character options. Remember that you select 1 faction at character creation and you automatically get that Faction's Champion boon. And unlike Pathfinder you can change your faction throughout your characters career.

Look forward to exploring the Pact worlds with fellow Starfinders alike.

http://paizo.com/starfinder/faq
Micheal Smith

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:10 am

Randy, I went and took the time to create a Boon document for anyone to use. Its a thread, given below, in a simple document.

I don't know if there is any way to sticky the attachment or not.

So the document has the following:
  • Store incentive boons, when you open $10+
  • Also promotion boon slots that can be used by any one. How to get rerolls and so on.
Note I will have have several copies with this Wednesday.

I know it says faction pins but there aren't any for Starfinder yet. They are looking into this as we speak. They said they had great success with Pathfinder Faction Pins. I highly recommend everyone READ THIS before you start buying things. Example the character folios NO LONGER give rerolls.

Here is a link to the actual thread. They said this is temporary until they get the Policy page for Starfinder up and running:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uk9o?Starf ... ams-Retail

Also I have attached another Starfinder Quick Reference sheet:
http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk ... heat-Sheet

Starfinder GM's please check this thread out, as it will be updated with errata and or scenario clarifications. It was stated that it will be updated as needed
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uipu?Starf ... First-Wave

Figured I would give some useful information out to people who are looking to get into Starfinder, players and GM's alike.
Attachments
Starfinder Quick-Reference Rules Sheet.pdf
(16 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Starfinder Boons.pdf
(16 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Micheal Smith

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Another piece of information, in case someone missed it, there is another BIG difference from Pathfinder. GM credits that apply get downtime checks. This includes dayjob checks.

Page 16 of the guide:
The GM's character receives Downtime (see page 45) and spends it upon applying the Chronicle sheet.

GM's day job check again in case you missed it to someone wants to know how to calculate it:
You gain a number of credits equal to twice your Profession skill check result, as per the 'Earn a Living' entry in the Profession skill (Starfnder Core Rulebook 146).
Micheal Smith

Sir.Gryphon
Seeker
Name: Sir.Gryphon (Randy)
PFS Number: 47387
GM Stars: 4
GM Novas: 1

Post by Sir.Gryphon » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Thank you for the cheat sheets, I know I grabbed them as soon as I found them on the site, but it is good advice for GMs.  I highly, HIGHLY recommend to all GMs and players who are interested in Starfinder to download the free materials available on the Paizo site for Starfinder, even the pregenerated characters, to read up on the system.
Pathfinder #47387
Venture Captain for Southern Colorado

GM for the "Lemming Leap" 2017...
Hugger of molten guardians, GalaxyFest 2018