Core Bonekeep Party

Moderators: MoffRimmer, jbane, lochinvar_1971

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent
Name: Sir.Bearington
GM Stars: 3

Re: Core Bonekeep Party

Post by musclecarlover07 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks Hjal. She will be more ranged focused with the crossbow. I think she will be more of a buffing type. she will haave bardic performance for days at 7th. I think she got it to some 27/rounds. And will have a decent base damage.

My only fear with the barbarian is if I fall unconscious I have a higher percentage of dying as core. You figure if I'm 7th level I will gain 14 HP. So with a 16 CON if am taken down to -3 or lower I'm dead. I'm pretty flexible with what I will do. I will fill in the gaps the party will need. If you feel the barbarian is the better choice for the heavy hitter then consider it done.

I would assume Richard will be more of a melee based Paladin.
Micheal Smith

Hjal Nelson
Veteran Field Agent
PFS Number: 34277
GM Stars: 5

Post by Hjal Nelson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 pm

I was thinking that if we want to do the best job possible of synergizing a party, we'll need to discuss particulars.  So here's my plan on Farmer Jeb by level 6 (figuring WBL in PFS by then should be about 9,500 at level 6 with no extra XP yet)

STR: 13
DEX: 8
CON: 14
INT: 12
WIS: 18
CHA: 14

Stats: Dex as Dump is a no brainer for a Cleric.  Not dumping Con is also a no brainer for Bonekeep. Obviously need Wis, and since I want to channel smite I need non-terrible STR and CHA.  I could drop the 12 INT back down to 10 to get 15 CHA, but if I did it'd still only be +2 to the stat and I'm using the +1 stat boost at level 4 to hit 18 WIS (starting with 15 WIS + 2 racial bonus for the point buy) so it'd be giving up the +1 skill rank per level for no net gain in channel strength.  However, alternately I COULD go with 10 INT to use the level 4 stat boost to end up with 17 Wis and 16 CHA, which may be the better option if I'm going to rely on channel smiting for offense.

Feats: Channel Smite & Improved Channel (lvl 1 plus human bonus feat), Control Undead (lvl 3), Power Attack or something to enhance survivability like tougness or Iron will (lvl 5)

Combat Gear: Equipping the Holy Sextuplet (magic weapon, magic armor, ring of prot, cloak of prot, headband & belt of stat boost) can't be done on a budget of 9,500.  I'm thinking about not having a headband, since I ultimately plan to use a phylactery anyway.  If I don't buy a belt (I'd go with strength if I do buy one) I can use that money on assorted trinkets and scrolls.

Perhaps what sort of gear we should accumulate is another excellent discussion, as alot of the "must haves" aren't in core.  Clear Spindle Ioun Stones are in core, and wayfinders are legal in core, but Seekers of Secrets isn't and that's where CSIS+wayfinder=Immune to Mind Control rules are... so I'm like 99.99% sure we can't do that trick.  And I'm not sure 4,000gp would be affordable in a tier 3-7 anyway....
musclecarlover07 wrote: Thanks Hjal. She will be more ranged focused with the crossbow. I think she will be more of a buffing type. she will haave bardic performance for days at 7th. I think she got it to some 27/rounds. And will have a decent base damage.

My only fear with the barbarian is if I fall unconscious I have a higher percentage of dying as core. You figure if I'm 7th level I will gain 14 HP. So with a 16 CON if am taken down to -3 or lower I'm dead. I'm pretty flexible with what I will do. I will fill in the gaps the party will need. If you feel the barbarian is the better choice for the heavy hitter then consider it done.

WRT the falling unconscious part with a Barbarian.... I'm pretty sure we'll be playing with the Hard To Kill boon.  If he doesn't die until -26 with 16 Con, does that change your calculus? :D
Last edited by Hjal Nelson on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud survivor of the Legendary Lemming Leap of 2017.

lochinvar_1971
Seeker
Name: Richard Bannister
PFS Number: 160719
GM Stars: 4
GM Glyphs: 4

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:03 pm

I built both a melee and an archer paladin, but am more inclined for the melee.

Probably wielding a halberd for reach and different damage type.  Just working through the mercies now, have most of the build thought through.

Was thinking half orc for ferocity/darkvison - both worth the feat loss

Str  17 (4th bump)
Con 14
Dex 13 (8th bump - for Increased AOO)
Int  10
Wis  10
Cha  14

Traits: Dangerously Curious and ???

Feats: (1) Power Attack, (3) Combat Reflexes, (5) Extra LOH. (7) Cleave, (9) Step-Up

Still figuring through gear.

Richard
Last edited by lochinvar_1971 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Richard
--Venture Lieutenant- Colorado Springs, Colorado
PFS # 160719
GM stars:****
GM Glyphs: ****

Enchanted Realms - Colorado Springs

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm

lochinvar_1971 wrote: I built both a melee and an archer paladin, but am more inclined for the melee.

Probably wielding a halberd for reach and different damage type.  Just working through the mercies now, have most of the build thought through.

Was thinking half orc for ferocity/darkvison - both worth the feat loss

Str  17 (4th bump)
Con 14
Dex 13 (8th bump - for Increased AOO)
Int  10
Wis  10
Cha  14

Traits: Dangerously Curious and ???

Feats: (1) Power Attack, (3) Combat Reflexes, (5) Extra LOH. (7) Cleave, (9) Step-Up

Still figuring through gear.

Richard
Assuming I read this correctly the 8th level bump will take you from a 12 to a 13? If so that won't do anything for you. A 12-13 will be a +1, unless you bump it with something else. Might as well put it into strength also.
Hjal Nelson wrote:
musclecarlover07 wrote: Thanks Hjal. She will be more ranged focused with the crossbow. I think she will be more of a buffing type. she will haave bardic performance for days at 7th. I think she got it to some 27/rounds. And will have a decent base damage.

WRT the falling unconscious part with a Barbarian.... I'm pretty sure we'll be playing with the Hard To Kill boon.  If he doesn't die until -26 with 16 Con, does that change your calculus? :D
How right you are Hjal. I totally forgot about that. I think it is settled Heavy hitter coming up.

Looking at a lvl 7 Dwarven Barbarian
STR: 18
DEX: 11
CON: 16
INT: 9
WIS: 14
CHA: 5

I don't plan on doing any of the talk and don't necessarily need to be the smartest person to kill the thing trying to kill me. Definitely going to be a greatsword barbarian.
Feats:
1. Power Attack (no brainer there)
3. Weapon Focus (greatsword)
5. Maybe Step up or toughness
7. Extra Rage or Vital Strike or Cleave

I can always use my fb for 1 extra rage/day as a dwarf.
Standard equipment for the killer dwarf magical weapons and armor belt of giant strength and maybe just a cloak of resistance. Maybe a ring. Definitely need a pick (watch video to understand and my official theme song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0
Micheal Smith

MoffRimmer
Society Field Agent

Post by MoffRimmer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:17 pm

Y'all need lives...  ;)

For "Pete" the wizard I have...

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 12
Int 18
Wis 12
Cha 11

(I really don't like "dump stats".  Although I might move the extra point to Con instead of Cha...)

Mongoose familiar,
Traits -- Deft Dodger, Librarian
Feats -- Dodge, Point-Blank Shot, Spell Focus (Evocation)
"Bad" Schools of magic -- Enchantment & Necromancy.
1st level spells currently are -- Burning hands, color spray, comprehend languages, mage armor, magic missile, protection from evil, shield

Planning on taking things like Precise shot and maybe other range feats to help with the blaster bit.

Thoughts are appreciated, but I generally don't like to "munchkin" the crap out of my characters.

lochinvar_1971
Seeker

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:25 pm

The first stats should be my 1-4, by 8 shoulded be

Str 18
Con 14
Dex 14
Wis/Int 10
Chr 14

Just not from memory will throw in my spreadsheet when I get home and verify numbers,  if I'm off week dump Wis.
Last edited by lochinvar_1971 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Richard
PFS # 160719

lochinvar_1971
Seeker

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Are faction traits allowed in core? Obviously I will be silver crusade for the 1/4 resurrection ability.
--Richard
PFS # 160719

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Oh I have a life HAHAHA.
Dump stats work if you play them and they fit the core character concept.
My dwarf (unnamed) has 2 jobs. kill and destroy the enemy. I don't really need CHR for that. Its a useless stat for me at this point. INT is more flavor for the character. Most of my characters dont use CHR based skills. I let other people worry with that. You tell Mr. Dwarf to kill something and he will do just that. I find con the most useful stat in the game. None of my characters ever have anything less than a 12 in con.

If you don't like dumping stats, nothing wrong with that. I don't think Hillary is either. I know she usually just takes the penalty due to the race and thats about it.
Micheal Smith

Fyre Vyxsin
Society Field Agent
GM Stars: 2

Post by Fyre Vyxsin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Well, everyone seems to be describing characters, I feel left out. My gnome bard is going to be pure buffing. With the gnome favored bonus I get an extra round of bardinc performance a day. All of the spells I'm taking will be buff spells. I'll offer some ranged support with a light crossbow as well, taking mostly ranged feats to help with that.

Str: -8
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 13
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

Feats I'm looking at taking are point blank, precise shot, rapid reload and deadly aim. As traits go, I'' looking at reactionary, and no idea for my second yet.
Hillary Slosky

Hjal Nelson
Veteran Field Agent
PFS Number: 34277

Post by Hjal Nelson » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:02 pm

lochinvar_1971 wrote: Are faction traits allowed in core? Obviously I will be silver crusade for the 1/4 resurrection ability.
You can use the traits from the Traits Web Enhancement document and the Season 8 PFS guide (i.e. the faction traits).  The web enhancement doc is, iirc, just the same stuff that's in APG minus the illegal traits like Wealthy Parents and so on.
Proud survivor of the Legendary Lemming Leap of 2017.

lochinvar_1971
Seeker

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:45 pm

Cool I knew avout the web enhancement just east sure if the guide was legal. Not to burst Hillary bubble but I thought the racial favored bonuses are not core. I thought those came in the APG.
Last edited by lochinvar_1971 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Richard
PFS # 160719

Fyre Vyxsin
Society Field Agent
GM Stars: 2

Post by Fyre Vyxsin » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:30 pm

lochinvar_1971 wrote: Cool I knew avout the web enhancement just east sure if the guide was legal. Not to burst Hillary bubble but I thought the racial favored bonuses are not core. I thought those came in the APG.
Why you need to go bursting my bubble? I'm so sad now, since you are unfortunately correct. There go seven rounds of my bardic performance.  >:(
Hillary Slosky

WhiteMane
Regional Venture-Coordinator
Name: O.J. Pinckert
PFS Number: 808
GM Glyphs: 3
GM Novas: 3

Post by WhiteMane » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:35 pm

The only viable resources for Core games are:
1.  Core Rulebook
2.  Traits Web Enhancement
3.  Pathfinder Society Role-Playing Guild Guide
4.  Chronicle sheets that the character has earned
Last edited by WhiteMane on Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.J. Pinckert--Regional Venture Coordinator, Great Plains Region
whitemane_1@yahoo.com
PFS #808

Demons run when a good man goes to war...

musclecarlover07
Veteran Field Agent

Post by musclecarlover07 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:29 pm

I had an idea about skills. I  was thinking that everyone but the wizard could have 1 and the wizard takes the rest so we have them all covered as well as not relying on the wizard tyring to get them. This of course would be if Hillary does not stick with the bard.

Druid: Geography
Barbarian: Nature
Cleric: Planes
Paladin: Religion
Wizard: Arcana, Dungeoneering, Engineering, History, and Local

Opinion: Do we want the bard or do we want a druid with a melee based companion... (She can go whatever way she wants.
Micheal Smith

lochinvar_1971
Seeker

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:20 pm

I'm all for the bard, but it's entirely up to her.

So I am still torn on reach vs two hand basher. Though if Hillary does go Druid I wouldn't be opposed to a ranged pally. I did error thinking Halbert was a reach weapon, so would probably switch to a Glaive with a heavy flail backup. I am not good at crit fishing, but that is another option.
--Richard
PFS # 160719