Tacticon review

Postings for Conventions and Special Events here.
greywizard77
Rookie Field Agent
Name: Matt McConnell
PFS Number: 10137
GM Stars: 1

Tacticon review

Post by greywizard77 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:35 am

So, I went to Tacticon this weekend, even though there wasn't any Pathfinder available. The con went off with minimal issues. The usual behind-the-scenes registration and room-assignments, but nothing out of the ordinary. I have more confidence in the new leadership then I did before the con. He was especially open during the post-con "closing ceremonies" about finances, charitable status, venue, etc. I think that the issues can be resolved in future cons.

Now, can we PLEASE quit the pissing war between PFS and GfV and start to reconcile? There are plenty of attendees who would play Pathfinder society if it was offered again.

GenghisCon is happening in the same location on the same weekend. It would be nice to see some other Pathfinder players there.

Kerney
Newly Confirmed Agent

Re: Tacticon review

Post by Kerney » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:45 am

Agreed. (fails wis check) So I'll be stupid enough to wade into this pile of sludge but also because I've been thinking this needs to be said.

The week before I met several gamers going to Tacticon who were disappointed that Pathfinder Society was not there. And what ever inmature behavior we saw on the part of the DGA (and I've seen it in other instances, and I know at least one person who has every reason to dislike the pfs leadership, but sympathizes with Jacque and company), us matching it does no good.  Going home for one day 'with our toys' is a reasonable way to make a point and it was made. Contiuning it makes us look like spoiled whinney kids who no one would want anything to do with....even if the other guy was wrong in the first place.

Our place, particularly our Venture officers place, is to serve the gamers of the metro area. Let me repeat the GAMERS, not the new or old leadership. By not going, we (those concerned about the status of PFS in the metro area) are only serving our own pride.  I say this not as an insult to anyone, but to remind ourselves what we should be doing.
Last edited by Kerney on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drogon
Store Coordinator

Re: Tacticon review

Post by Drogon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:25 pm

1 - A pissing contest requires (at least) two participants. Seeing as no one in PFS leadership (that I can see) is participating, I don't think there is any "contest" occurring.

2 - Our place, as gamers is to spend our money with the people we want to spend it. If you want to spend it with one convention over another, please do so. If you want to choose one store over another, again that is your right. You can do whatever you please, as it is your money and your choice.

3 - The Venture Officers' roles, as directors for the area's PFS events is to choose which coordinators and venues will receive their (not insignificant) support. If a venue is known to be infested with lice and cockroaches, and never cleans its bathrooms because "Real gamers pee standing up" then the PFS leadership is supposed to decide whether that venue gets their support. Because if they give that support to that venue, people will be forced to spend time (and, potentially, money) at that venue, especially if events and rewards are offered there that are not offered elsewhere.

Go to Genghiscon or Tacticon. Organize some PFS if you wish. But unless something has changed with the organization behind those events, do not expect to get official support from the VO's or from Paizo. If something has changed (and that line is very important, considering what I have heard), you can bet that both of those parties - neither of which are WE, as gamers, a part of - will be working it out.