Major Changes to Pathfinder and Starfinder Society

This board is for announcements regarding Pathfinder Society Organized Play updates
slate
Venture Captain
Name: Zach
PFS Number: 883
GM Stars: 3
GM Glyphs: 4
GM Novas: 1
Discord: slate_.

Major Changes to Pathfinder and Starfinder Society

Post by slate » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Greetings [Path/Star]finders!

Today it was announced that there are some major changes occurring for Both Pathfinder and Starfinder Society (and PACS!). The write-up is live on paizo, so rather than trying to sum it up, please check out the blog post here: https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748d ... gitization

Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy, and look forward to seeing many of your faces again at some time in the future when it is safe to gather for conventions again!

Zach
VC, Northern CO

Shoutout to Jesse for notifying me of this blog post!

Brionmace
Store Coordinator
PFS Number: 187907
GM Stars: 2
GM Glyphs: 2
GM Novas: 2

Re: Major Changes to Pathfinder and Starfinder Society

Post by Brionmace » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:24 pm

thank you for posting that, very informative! I encourage everyone to read!
Dan "Pointy-ear" Carter

CDragos
Store Coordinator
Name: Christian
PFS Number: 17148
GM Stars: 4
GM Glyphs: 1

Post by CDragos » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:03 am

Wow! No more Fame to be written on chronicles. No more chronicle boons, too. Interesting.
Christian Dragos
Venture Agent - Denver

lochinvar_1971
Seeker
Name: Richard Bannister
PFS Number: 160719

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:09 am

I personally do not like this change. I like the idea of a special boon from a chronicle and I liked the fame system. I understand that it was never tracked under organized play and that leaves open a lot of room for abuse, however, I wouldn't spend AcP on a mentorship boon - which is generally the first thing I buy using Fame.

My original understanding was that AcP would be a way for people who don't GM or don't attend cons a way to get something special - like access to a ancestry, a rare item or spell. The Reputation/Fame or Prestige from the PFS system let me buy what I consider more vanities, which were nice to haves, but ultimately didn't really affect gameplay. Sure PFS2e added a bit more functionality in these boons - mentorship for example. But, I liked being able to give that low level player a bump during higher tier play, but will most people spend their AcP on that rather than an ancestry boon?
--Richard
--Venture Lieutenant- Colorado Springs, Colorado
PFS # 160719
GM stars:****
GM Glyphs: ****

Enchanted Realms - Colorado Springs

Haman
Venture Lieutenant
Name: Mitch
PFS Number: 93914
GM Novas: 3

Post by Haman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 pm

Thats not the intention, Richard.

They are adding a new separate system that is designed to be the same or very similar to Fame. It will exist alongside the ACP system.

slate
Venture Captain
Name: Zach
PFS Number: 883
GM Novas: 1
Discord: slate_.

Post by slate » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:54 pm

Haman wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:07 pm They are adding a new separate system that is designed to be the same or very similar to Fame. It will exist alongside the ACP system.
Not sure if I buy that. Per the post:
From Year 2 launch forward, Pathfinder Society adventure (or sanctioned adventure) do not award Fame. With AcP as a purchasing currency, we don’t believe the added complexity of tracking Fame necessary. We are working on how to convert already purchased Fame items into the digital environment as well as making sure we have AcP or Faction benefits that cover items that used to be available to purchase with Fame, such as Restorations or Infamy removal. We will have more information on how to convert Fame in an October blog.
It could go the way that Richard is thinking, per that bolded section. That said, we're kinda in limbo until October.

lochinvar_1971
Seeker
Name: Richard Bannister
PFS Number: 160719

Post by lochinvar_1971 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 am

That said, we're kinda in limbo until October.
This is another thing that bugs me. I'm good with changing stuff, but a random, "we will let you know" is unsatisfactory I have seen something called chronical points pot up from time to time on my organized play, but like a lot of things this has been ambiguous. What I do want is a reason to play a scenerio - I know some people don't pick a character based upon the tags, but I do.

Imagine if you didn't have that scerio that you had hear of from a friend, the one that gave you the keen bow, the axebeak animal companion, or the "relationship with the bar maid". Not to mention the entire Blackrose influence on adventures or the whole Sevenfingers story line. These are the ones that kept me playin PF - not the one offs - well except Library of the Lion
--Richard
--Venture Lieutenant- Colorado Springs, Colorado
PFS # 160719
GM stars:****
GM Glyphs: ****

Enchanted Realms - Colorado Springs